I’m evaluating SCCM 2007 / R2. Here is some tips / tricks so far. As I find out more, I’ll add to this post. I’m sure this is going to change as I learn more. If you want to pass along your tips, feel free.
1) Make sure SQL Server 2008 w/sp1 runs as a domain account vs. local system
2) Run setspn and grant the sql server account so the SCCM 2007 check can resolve it
3) Grant the SCCM site server ‘local admin’ permissions on the sql server
4) Create the Systems Management Container under the System container
5) Grant Site Server full control Systems Management container in AD
6) Extend AD Schema
7) Configure WebDAV on IIS
8) Install the WebDAV feature.
9) Remote differential compression feature
How to Configure Windows Server 2008 for Site Systems
System Management Container in Active Directory Domain Services
I’m not sure when running mixed mode how to push the client automatically. For my own learning purposes, I added the machine account SCCM runs as a domain admin. I will be evaluating this much more closely to find a more secure way if I roll out. Also, for troubleshooting, here is a couple log paths. This assumes the default, my VM only had a C drive.
C:\Program Files (x86)\SMS_CCM\Logs
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Logs